Monday, October 8, 2007

Who Would You Vote for as President of the World?

Since our homepage launched in August, we have had open nominations for candidates that could possibly be a good president of the world.

We closed the nominations in late September and today we opened the Poling Station. 40 people were nominated. We in the house then held internal elections, for the 15 best candidates. We each had to elect 5 people, and give the number points from 1 to 5. So that my first choice got five points, my second got four points and so on and so forth. This produced our list of 15. The list is surprisingly diverse with people (and cartoon characters) from all over the world. Lisa Simpson, Nelson Mandela, David Suzuki and Hilary Clinton, Dalai Lama and Hu Jintao. Former Presidnets and presidential hopefuls, adults and children, entertainers, leaders and beauty queens.

What most impressed me with the list is that is so international. I hope you will all visit the voting room and cast your vote. Who would you rather have rule the world Cheng Cheng or Barak Obama?

To further the effort Erick and I spent Sunday afternoon finding e-mail addresses to our candidates and e-mailed them about the election. So far we have not heard back from any of them, but we invited them to answer the 10 Questioins on our homepage. Most of the peoples direct e-mails obviously were not available online. So we unfortunately have not been able to e-mail Hu Jintao and inform him about our election.

On a personal note I have looked at our list and tried to think about who I would vote for, if I had to vote for an actual president of the world. Maybe I am too inspired by Iron ladies of Liberia. But I honestly think I would vote for Ellen Johnson Sirleaf. She is strong, she is multi-cultural, she believes think in compromising. She believes in listening to both sides of the story before making a decision. She is tough on coruption, she tries to find realistic solutions to societal problems. She demands schools and hospitals for her people and most importantly she is honest!

But of course it is not so important who I would vote for, what is really important is who you would vote for?

I hope you enjoy our election!

Digg!

2 comments:

Anne Peterson said...

I know I am too late, but perhaps you should have included a write in vote. I would perhaps have voted for Stephen Lewis or Jan Egeland both beyond reproach and very effective people.

El_Pirato said...

The president of the world is Putin V.V. (Russia) for ever